Instagram now gives all users the option to hide or unhide the like count on posts. That means that instead of the default numerical value you’d normally see under a photo, it simply names a few users and adds “and others.” Here’s an example from four-legged fashion icon
Hiding your like count on IG is easy and reversible, and in some cases, might have a positive impact on the way you experience the app. Here’s how to do it.
Bonus: Download a free checklist that reveals the exact steps a fitness influencer used to grow from 0 to 600,000+ followers on IG with no budget and no expensive gear.
Instagram gives you the option to hide the like counts on everyone else’s posts in just a few steps, so you won’t see like numbers as you scroll through the app. You can also hide the likes on your own posts.
Read also: How to read WhatsApp deleted messages
How to turn off likes on an IG post before posting it
Turning off likes on an Instagram post before sharing it is as easy as a few taps on your screen. Here’s how to do it:
- Create your IG post like you normally would.
- When you get to the final screen before posting, scroll to the very bottom and tap Advanced Settings.
- At the top of the screen, tap to toggle on the button next to Hide Like and View Counts on This Post.
- Tap the back arrow and then hit Share to post your image or video.
How to hide IG likes on a post you already published
Hiding IG likes on posts you’ve already shared is just as easy. Here are the step-by-step instructions:
- Navigate to a post where you want to hide IG likes.
- Tap the three dots in the upper-right corner above your post.
- Tap Hide Like Count.
- That’s it! Where your like count usually lives, it will now say Liked by [x] and others.
Should you hide IG likes?
Whether or not you should hide your IG likes is a personal preference. Overall, hiding likes is a way to let your followers know that those metrics aren’t important to you. It’s one less thing you have to think about when sharing your photos.
You may want to keep those IG like counts visible if you aspire to use your account to become an influencer or work with brands. Because brands want to see a return on their investment, they will likely only work with accounts that are willing to share how many likes each post is getting.
How to hide likes on other Instagram accounts
Want to hide likes from all the posts you scroll through on Instagram and forget they ever existed? Again, it’s easy to do. And it allows you to concentrate on leaving meaningful comments on the posts that resonate with you, as opposed to the more popular posts. Here’s how to do it:
- Navigate to your IG profile.
- Tap the menu in the upper right and choose Settings.
- Hit Privacy.
- Tap Posts.
- Toggle on the button next to Hide Likes and View Counts. When you are scrolling through your Instagram feed, you will no longer see like counts on posts.
How to see likes on Instagram again
It’s important to remember that none of these changes need be permanent. If you hide IG likes on your own posts or on the posts of others, you can always change your mind and reverse course.
To see likes on Instagram posts from others again, simply navigate to your Privacy settings and toggle the button off next to Hide Likes and View Counts. To show Instagram likes on your own posts, just navigate to the post, tap the three dots, and choose Unhide Like Count.
Whether or not you choose to implement this feature, it can be useful to know how to hide likes on Instagram posts. If nothing else, the feature is Instagram’s way of giving you more control over your posts and your feed, and that’s something we can all get behind.